Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Theatre: Mission Drift

The TEAM
for the Perth Festival
written by The TEAM
Music by Heather Christian
Directed by Rachel Chavkin
With Stephanie Wright Thompson, Bryce Gill, Heather Christian, Ian Lassiter and Amber Gray, accompanied by Matthew Bogdanow and Josh Myers
Heath Ledger Theatre
Until March 2
Bryce Gill, Ian Lassiter, Stephanie Wright Thompson and Heather Christian
(pic Lee Griffith)
There’s no objective measure of theatre or how it gives each individual the particular things they like, want and need from it.
So, when I say that I have never seen anything better than Mission Drift in the theatre, you will only know if you can at least understand me if you have the great good fortune to see it for yourself. It has everything I think theatre should have, and does everything I believe theatre should do.
 Mission Drift is a daring encompassing of America, its historic promise and its breaking.
It’s the incredible fecundity and westward impulse of America that inspire Mission Drift’s thrilling first half, which is, quite literally, a history of a nation.
If the second half of Mission Drift lacks some of the ebullience of the first, it simply mirrors the grinding stasis that has beset America, and its dream, since those last days of ’07.
I was often in tears during this brilliant production (and here I should disclose that I was living in America, and personally affected by the events of 2007 and ’08); two days later its effect on me has scarcely subsided. If there’s still a ticket to be had, go see it.

Link here to the complete review in The West Australian
  

No comments:

Post a Comment