Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Cabaret: Meow Meow

Astor Theatre

November 16, 2012

I had a diverting conversation with my wife on Friday night about the allure of the extraordinary Melissa Madden Gray, the artist known as Meow Meow.
She briefly wondered whether the boundlessly pneumatic cabaret artist appealed more to blokes. And as I helped Meow crowd surf over our heads while she sang Come Dance with Me, I confess I was reminded of Bob Menzies’ famous “I did but see her passing by …”
But Meow is much more clever than that. Her full-frontal attack on glamour, her insurgency in the war of the sexes never says “come hither”. “Come over here and do what you’re told” is more like it. Whatever empowerment is, that’s what Meow Meow is peddling. She’s got a joke about what boys like and guys want – and the women are in on it.

Link here to the complete review in The West Australian

No comments:

Post a Comment